AHGP Transcription Project

Casey County

Casey County, the 46th in order of formation, was organized in 1806, out of part of Lincoln County, and named in memory of Col. Wm. Casey. It is situated in the middle part of the state, on the headwaters of Green River and of the Rolling Fork of Salt River; and is bounded north by Boyle, east by Lincoln, south by Pulaski, and west by Adair. The surface is high and broken; the principal productions are corn, wheat, oats, and potatoes.

Liberty, the county seat, incorporated in 1830, contains a court house and public offices, 4 churches, 8 stores and groceries, 3 taverns, 11 mechanics' shops, 6 lawyers, 4 doctors; population about 250.
Middleburg, 7 miles north east of Liberty, and 16 miles from Shelby City.
Mintonville, 18 miles south east of Liberty.
Caseyville, a few miles south east of Liberty.

Members of the Legislature, since 1815

Jesse Coffey, 1833-34-35;
Thos. S. Speed, 1848-49.

House of Representatives
Wm. Goode, 1815, '16, '19;
Jesse Coffey, 1817;
James Allen, 1818;
Christopher Riffe, 1820, '22, '27;
Benj. W. Napier, 1824, '25;
Lindsey Powell, 1826;
Wm. Kay, 1828, '29, '30;
Geo. C. Riffe, 1832, '33, '40;
Geo. Drye, 1835, '39;
John Riffe, 1833;
Winston Bowman, 1841, '43, '44, '46;
Peter B. Riffe, 1842;
Thos. S. Speed, 1845:
Gen. Franklin L. Wolford, 1847, '65-67;
Hiram Thomas, 1848;
Geo. Portman, Jr., 1849;
Juel Murphy, 1850;
Napoleon B. Stone, 1851-53;
McDowell Fogle, 1355-57, 1859-61;
Jas. M. C. Lisenby, 1861-63;
Geo. W. Drye, 1867-69;
Col. Silas Adams, 1869-71;
Robinson Peyton, 1873-75.

Colonel William Casey, in honor of whom this county received its name, was a native of Frederick County, Virginia. In company with two or three families, he removed to Kentucky in the early part of the winter of 1779-80; and during the intensely cold weather of that memorable winter, lived in a camp on the Hanging fork of Dick's River. He remained there until the year 1791; when under the influence of that spirit of adventure and change which marked the era in which he lived, he struck his tent, and removed to Russell's creek, a tributary of Green River. Here, at a distance of fifty miles from any white settlement, in conjunction with several families who pushed their fortunes with him, he located and built a station. Though feeble in numbers, the hardy band of pioneers by whom he was surrounded, and who reposed in him unbounded confidence as a leader, maintained themselves, gallantly and victoriously, against several attacks of the Indians. His station was subsequently reinforced by several families, whose presence was instrumental in preventing any further assault on the part of the Indians. In one of the incursions, however, of a small band of savages, Mr. John Tucker, a Methodist preacher, together with his wife, were cruelly murdered.

Source: History of Kentucky, Volume II, by Lewis Collins, Published by Collins & Company,
Covington, Kentucky, 1874

Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Tuesday, 13-Jan-2015 17:43:11 EST.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by

Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or used on any other web site without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2014~2024 by Paula Franklin & Judy White