apple blossoms redbud blooms

Welcome, Volunteers are needed to help this site grow. If you would like to host a state, county, city, or just provide information for posting please Contact us. We have a good group of people who are willing to assist you in any way they can to get you started. Also please check out our other volunteer projects


A Dictionary of Stations and Early Settlements in Kentucky

Realizing at every step of his studies in Kentucky history the need of a knowledge of the topography of early Kentucky, the author has made the following, for two years, a work of great and patient labor. He has succeeded in making it full and accurate beyond his most sanguine expectations, especially when it is known that he has been able to avail of the personal information of only one now living, Dr. Christopher C. Graham, of Louisville (who, in November, 1873, at the ripe age of 87, is enthusiastically engaged in building up a great museum in connection with the Public Library of Kentucky). In addition to all usual sources of such knowledge, over nine thousand depositions of the pioneers, of all dates from 1787 to 1827, have been sought out in the various courthouses, and their statements under oath faithfully examined and compared. It will be esteemed a favor if any one discovering the slightest inaccuracy will promptly notify the author that it may be corrected in future editions.

Armstrong's Station, on the Indiana shore, in Clark County, Indiana, at the mouth of Bull creek, opposite the Grassy Flats, and 18-mile-Island bar, in the Ohio River, 18 miles above Louisville. A blockhouse was built here by Col. John Armstrong, between 1786 and 1790, to prevent the Indians from crossing the river here, where it was fordable, to steal horses from Ky. Ashton's Station; mentioned in Boone's Autobiography, May, 1782; same as Estill's

A Sturgus' Station (1783), on Harrod's trace, in Jefferson County.

Bailey's Station, in Mason County, 2 miles south of Maysville, and 1 mile from Washington; settled in 1791.

Bardstown, in Nelson County, established 1788; called Bairdstown.

Barnett's Station, 2 miles from Hartford, Ohio County; settled by Col. Joseph Barnett, before 1790.

Black's Station; before Dec, 1794; in Fayette county, on waters of Clear Creek.

Blue Licks, Lower. [See Lower Blue Licks]

Blue Licks, Upper. [See Upper Blue Licks]

Boiling Spring, in Mercer County, near or in Harrodsburg; in 1775, one of the four "settlements" which were represented in the Transylvania legislative body at Boonesboro.

Boone's Station; same as Boonesboro.

Boone's Station, on Boone's Creek, in Fayette County, about 10 miles south east of Lexington and 5 miles north west from Boonesboro; settled by and named after Daniel Boone about 1783 or '84, who lived there until he removed to Maysville, before Feb. 3, 1786.

Boone's (Squire) Station; called Squire Boone's Station, which see.

Boonesboro, on the w. bank of Kentucky River in Madison County; settled by Daniel Boone, who began the fort on April 1st, and finished it on the 14th of June, 1775.

Bosley's Station, J mile above the main fork of Wells' Creek, near Washington, Mason County; before 1793.

Bowman's Station, 6 miles east of Harrodsburg; settled in 1779 by 30 families under Col. Abram Bowman. Col. B. soon after removed to Fayette County.

Brashears' Station, at mouth of Floyd's Fork, in Bullitt County, 1779.

Bryan's Station, in Fayette County, about 5 miles north east of Lexington, on the southern bank of the north fork of Elkhorn; settled by the Bryans in 1779, but a cabin had been built by Joseph Bryan, a son-in-law of Col. Daniel Boone, in 1776.

Buchanan's Station, 1 mile west of Germantown, Bracken County, where Geo. Humlong recently lived.

Bullitt's Lick, on north side Salt River, 3 miles from Salt River and same distance from Shepherdsville, in Bullitt County; discovered by Capt. Thos. Bullitt in 1773; the only place where salt was made about the Falls in 1780-1, according to Bland Ballard's deposition.

Byne's Station, settled by Edmund Byne, on North Fork, in Mason County.

Camp Knox, in east part of Green County, where, in June, 1770, Col. Jas. Knox, with 22 men (called the "Long Hunters"), with 4 pack-horses, encamped.

Cane Run, a Presbyterian meeting-house in 1784, in then Lincoln County.

Carpenter's Station, in the knobs of Green River, about 2 miles west of Hustonville in Lincoln County; about 1780.

Casey's (Col. Wm.) Station, in Lincoln County, 3 miles west of Stanford, and 7 miles east of Danville, on Hanging Fork of Dick's River.

Cassidy's Station, in Fleming County; settled by Michael Cassidy.

Clark's Station, in Mason County; settled in 1785.

Clarksville, in Indiana, opposite Louisville, laid out by Gen. Geo. Rogers Clark.

Clear's Station, in Bullitt County.

Corn Island, in Ohio River, opposite Louisville, where Gen. Geo. Rogers Clark built a fort in June, 1778, and raised several crops of corn; had several acres of rich land; now all washed away.

Cox's Station, in Nelson County, near Kincheloe's Station.

Crab Orchard, in Lincoln County, 12 miles from Lancaster, and 10 miles from Stanford, on the old pioneer road to Cumberland Gap.

Craig's Station, on Gilbert's creek, a few miles east of Lancaster, Garrard County; settled by Rev. Lewis Craig, in 1780.

Craig's Station (another), in Lincoln County, 2 miles east of Danville.

Crow's Station, in then Lincoln County, near Danville; settled by John Crow, before May, 1782.

Danville, in Boyle County; laid off as a town by Walker Daniel, 1781.

Davis' Station, in southern Kentucky, probably in Logan or Warren County.

Dougherty's Station, in Boyle County, on Clark's run, 1½ miles below Danville.

Dowdall's Station, on Salt River: before 1784.

Drennon's Lick, in Henry County, near Kentucky River.

Dutch Station, in Jefferson County, on Beargrass creek; 1780.

Elk Fork on Red River, in Logan County; several settlements on, 1785.

Estill's Station, on Muddy creek, 3 miles south of Richmond, in Madison County; settled by Capt. James Estill, before 1781.

Falls of the Ohio. The first fort was built on Corn Island, opposite Louisville, in June, 1778; in the fall of 1778, or spring of 1779, a rude stockade was raised near a ravine where, in 1838, Twelfth Street in Louisville terminated at the Ohio River.

Feagans' Station, in Mason County, 1½ or 2 miles east of Germantown.

Finn's Station, in Jefferson or Spencer County; settled before 1780.

Finney, Fort—original name of Fort where lower end of Jeffersonville, Indiana, now stands, at the Fulls of the Ohio.

Fleming's (Col. John) Station, in Fleming County; 1790.

Floyd's Station, first at the mouth of Beargrass, in Louisville, corner 3rd St. and Ohio River.

Floyd's Station, on the Middle Fork of Beargrass creek, 6 miles from the falls of the Ohio; settled by Col. John Floyd, in 1775.

Floyd's Fork Station, in Oldham County, near Pewee Valley, 18 miles east of Louisville.

Forks of Dick's River, a Presbyterian preaching place in 1784, in now Lincoln County.

Fontainebleau, about 3 miles below Harrodsburg, on the bank of Salt River; a mill was built here at a very early day.

Garrard's Station, in Hamilton County, Ohio, on Little Miami; April, 1796.

Georgetown, in Scott County, formerly McClelland's Fort, (which see.)

Gilmer's Lick, 7 miles from Whitely's Station, in Lincoln County

Gilmore's Station, 12 miles east of Mountsterling, Montgomery County

Glover's Station, on Green River, where Greensburg now stands; 1780.

Goodwin's Station, on the Rolling Fork; 1780.

Gordon's Station; 1779; in Mercer County

Grant's Lick, in Campbell County, 5 miles from Alexandria, on road to Falmouth; salt made there before 1800.

Grant's Station, settled by Col. John Grant, in 1779, who abandoned it in 1780 and moved back to North Carolina, but returned and re-settled it in 1784 within 5 miles north east of Bryan's station, near where Lowe's is, on Kentucky. Central Railroad, near Fayette and Bourbon line.

Grubbs' Station, settled by Capt. Higgason Grubbs, on Muddy creek, Madison County before Oct., 1792.

Haggin's Station. [See Trigg's Station.]

Hardinsburg, county seat of Breckinridge County, originally a station erected by Capt. Hardin; laid out as a town in 1782.

Hardin's Station, same as Hardinsburg above.

Harlan's Station, on Salt River, in Mercer County, 7 miles south east from Harrodsburg and 3 miles south west of Danville; built by Major Silas Harlan, in 1778.

Harrison's Station, 2 miles from Higgins' Fort, about 3 miles from Cynthiana, in Harrison County; before 1786.

Harrod's Station, 6 miles east of Harrodsburg, in Mercer County, on the present road to Danville; settled by Col. James Harrod.

Harrod's Town, or Harrodsburg Station, where Harrodsburg now stands, in Mercer County; settled by James Harrod, in 1774. The Fort, located on the hill which, in 1834, was occupied by the seminary building, and which included a considerable spring of water at its foot, was begun during the winter of 1775-6, but not finished until the ensuing season.

Hart’s, or White Oak Spring, Station, 1 mile above Boonesboro, in same Kentucky River bottom, in Madison County; settled in 1779, by Nathaniel Hart, and some families from Pennsylvania.

Hartford Station, where Hartford, Ohio County, is before 1790.

Hazel Patch, on the Cumberland Gap road, in Laurel County

Helm's Station, Settled by Capt. Thos. Helm, in 1780, on the spot now Haycraft's Station, occupied by the late Gov. John L. Helm's residence; the Hynes' Station 2nd, named after Samuel Haycraft, was on the hill above the cave spring; while Hynes', settled by Col. Andrew Hynes, occupied the other angle of a triangle where Elizabethtown now stands; they were one mile apart.

Higgins' Blockhouse, on bank of Licking, 1½ miles above Cynthiana, Harrison County, opposite mouth of Sellers' Run before 1786.

Hinkston’s Station, in Harrison County, on South Licking, 1½ miles above Higgins' Blockhouse, and a short distance below Hinkston creek; was first settled by Isaac Ruddle and others, and called Ruddle's Station until "taken by the Indians" in 1780; when resettled, afterwards, it was oftenest called Hinkston's, after John Hinkson, the most prominent of the re-settlers.

Hobson's Choice, the camping ground of Gen. Wayne, in 1793, on the Ohio river, below (now in) the city of Cincinnati, the very spot now occupied by the gas works, but reaching above and below that.

Hogland's Station, in Jefferson County, on Beargrass; 1780.

Hoy’s Station, in Madison County.

Huston's Station, in 1776, the present site of Paris, Bourbon County.

Irish Station, in Nicholas County, 5 or 6 miles south of Lower Blue Lick, on road to Millersburg.

Irvine's Station, near where Richmond now stands, in Madison County, established by Col. Wm. Irvine and his brother Capt. Christopher Irvine, in 1778 or 1779.

Jefferson, Fort, in Ballard County, on the Mississippi River, about 5 miles below the mouth of the Ohio; established by Gen. George Rogers Clark, within the Chickasaw Country in 1780; abandoned or evacuated in the spring of 1781, because it afforded no security to the Western settlements.

Kellar's Station, in Jefferson County; before 1780.

Kenton's Station, 3 miles south west of Limestone, now Maysville, and 1 mile north of Washington, in Mason County; settled by Simon Kenton, in 1784.

Kenton's (John) Station, half mile south east of Washington, Mason County.

Kilgore's Station, in 1782, north of Cumberland River, on south side of Red River; attacked by Indians, same year, and broken up. Probably in southern part of Logan County, near state line, or may be in Tennessee.

Kincheloe's Station, on Simpson's creek, in Spencer County.

Knob Lick, in Lincoln County, 5 miles south of Danville; settled in 1776, by Isaac Shelby.

Kuykendall's (Moses) Station, (1782), in Jefferson County, on waters of Beargrass.

Leach's Station, in Bracken County.

Lee's Station, in Mason County, between Maysville and Washington, settled by Gen. Henry Lee, in 1785, and still the home of his descendants.

Leestown, on east bank of Kentucky River, 1 mile below Frankfort, settled in 1776, by Hancock Lee, Cyrus McCracken (father of Capt. Virgil McCracken, after whom McCracken County was named), and others who raised cabins there.

Lewis' Station, re-settled by Geo. Lewis in 1789, formerly called Geo. Clark's station, where Lewisburg now is, in Mason County, 9 miles from Maysville.

Lexington, on the Town fork of Elkhorn, in Fayette County; settled by Col. Robert Patterson, April 1, 1779.

Licking Station, in Harrison County, probably near Lair's or may be nearer to Cynthiana.

Limestone. [See Maysville.]

Linn's Station, on Beargrass, in Jefferson County, about 10 miles from Louisville; before 1780.

Littell's Station, in Pendleton County, on Fork Lick, a west branch of south Licking, into which it empties just below Callensville (or Morgan's, on Kentucky Central Railroad)

Logan's Fort, same as St. Asaph, 1 mile west of Stanford, in Lincoln County; settled by Col. Benj. Logan, in 1775.

Louisville, at the Fails of the Ohio, in Jefferson County; laid off as a town by Capt. Thos. Bullitt, in August, 1773; the first settlement was on Corn Island, near the Kentucky shore, in the spring of 1778; in the fall of that year, a blockhouse was built on the main shore, and in 1782 a larger fort called Fort Nelson.

Loudon's Station, 30 miles from mouth of Kentucky River, probably in Henry County.

Lynch's Station, near Shelbyville; same as Squire Boone's.

Lower Blue Licks, in Nicholas County, in sight of where the Maysville and Lexington turnpike crosses Licking River; discovered in 1773.

James McAfee's Station, on the bank of Salt River, 6 or 7 miles below Harrodsburg, and west north west from it; first cabin built in 1774, and more settlers came in 1775.

McAfee's Station, in Mercer County, 6 or 7 miles from Harrodsburg, on Salt River, and about ¼ of a mile above Providence church ; settled by the McAfee brothers, in 1779.

William McAfee's Station, on Shawnee run, about 1 mile w. from Harrodsburg, at the mouth of the Town branch.

Manchester, or Massie's Station, 12 miles above Maysville, on the north bank of the Ohio River.

Mann's Lick, a salt station before 1786, on south side of and close to Salt River, in Bullitt County, a few miles from Shepherdsville.

Martin's Station, established by John Martin (who built a cabin in 1775), 5 miles from Ruddle's Station, on Stoner, about 3 miles below Paris in Bourbon County; settled in 1779.

Maulding's Station, established in 1780, on Red River, in Logan County.

Maysville, on the Ohio River, at the mouth of Limestone creek, in Mason County; settled in 1784; blockhouse built by Edward Waller, John Waller and George Lewis, of Virginia.

McClelland's Fort or Station, where Georgetown now stands, in Scott County, settled, in 1776, by John, Alex, and Wm. McClelland, and three and other families from Hinckston's Station and Drennon's Lick.

McFadden's Station, 4 miles above Bowlinggreen, on Big Barren River, in Warren County; settled by Andrew McFadden, in 1785.

McGary's (Maj, Hugh) Station, in Mercer County, at the head spring on Shawnee run, 5 miles north north east from Harrodsburg.

McGee's Station, or Cove Spring, on Cooper's run, in south east part of Fayette County, on or near Tate's creek road from Lexington to Richmond; sometimes called "Old Station;" settled before 1780.

McKinney's Station, settled by Archibald McKinney before 1792; in Lincoln County, on McKinney's branch of Hanging Fork, about 2 miles from Green river, 9 miles south west from Stanford, and about 4 miles north east of Hustonville.

Mefford's (Geo.) Station, 2½ miles south of Maysville, Mason County, 1787.

Middle Station, in Jefferson County, before 1787.

Miller's Station, settled in 1784 by John Miller, about 1 mile from Hinkston creek towards Blue Licks, and 1 mile north east of Millersburg.

Mills' Station, supposed to be in Greenup or Lewis County; Wm. Thompson, of White Oak, Greenup County, who died May 7, 1867, aged 77, settled there in 1790, with his father.

Montgomery’s Station, in Lincoln County, on the headwaters of Green river, 12 miles south west from Logan's Fort, 2½ miles from Pettit's Station; settled by Wm. Montgomery, (the father-in-law of Gen. Ben. Logan,) and sons, in 1780.

Morgan's Station, on Slate creek, 7 miles east of Mount Sterling, in what is now Bath County; settled before 1793.

Mud Garrison, where Shepherdsville now stands, in Bullitt County, midway between Bullitt's Lick and the Falls of Salt River; settled in, or before 1778.

Muddy River Licks, north of Russellville, in Logan and Butler counties; settlements between 1780 and 1784.

Nelson, Fort, in Louisville, corner 9th Street and Ohio River.

New Holland, in Jefferson County; before 1784.

Nonsense, Fort, in Bullitt County.

Old Town, a name by which Harrodsburg was known at an early day.

Old Town, in Greenup County, the scene of a great battle by Indians.

Painted Stone; some doubt as to its locality, but believed to be another name for Squire Boone's Station on Clear creek, near Shelbyville, Shelby County; certainly Squire Boone's military headquarters in June, 1780. [See Vol. I.]

Paris, formerly Houston's Station, in Bourbon County; established in 1789 under the name of Hopewell, afterwards called Bourbonton and finally Paris.

Pettit's Station, in Lincoln County, 2½ miles from Montgomery's Station, on the headwaters of Green River, and 16 miles south east from Logan's Fort.

Phillips' Fort, in Larue County, on north side of Nolin creek, 1¼ miles from Hodgenville; settled by Philip Phillips, 1780-1.

Pittman's Station, in Green County, on the right bank of Green River, near the mouth of Pittman's creek, 5 miles west of Greensburg; settled in fall of 1779 or spring of 1780.

Poplar Level, in Jefferson County; before 1784.

Port William, now Carrollton, in Carroll County, at the mouth of Kentucky River; laid out in 1792; a blockhouse built in 1786 or 1787 by Capt. Elliston.

Redstone Fort, now Brownsville, in south west Pennsylvania, on the Monongahela River; the most frequent point where emigrants from Pennsylvania and the east, and many from Virginia and Maryland, took navigation for Kentucky.

Rogers' Station, in Nelson County, near the Beech Fork; 1780.

Ruddle's Station, on east bank of South Fork of Licking river, 3 miles below the junction of Hinkston and Stoner's branches, about 7 miles from Paris, in Bourbon County; settled in 1777, by Isaac Ruddle; captured by the Indians and destroyed in 1780; re-built by John Hinkson and others, and called Hinkston's Station.

Russellville, in Logan County; settled in 1780.

St. Asaph, or Logan's Fort, in Lincoln County, 1 mile west of Stanford in 1775.

Sandusky's Station, on Pleasant Run, in Washington County; settled by James Sandusky or Sodowsky in 1776; in 1786 or '87 he removed to Cane Ridge, in Bourbon County, and settled another station, which was probably known by the name of Cane Ridge.

Scott's (John) Station, 5½ miles north east of Cynthiana, Harrison County.

Skaggs' Station, on Brush creek, in Green County; about 1781.

Slate Blockhouse, at the old Slate Furnace, in Bath County; about 1788.

Spring Station, in Jefferson County; in 1784.

Station Camp Creek, in Jackson and Estill counties.

Squire Boone's Station, in Shelby County, near where Shelbyville now stands, on Clear creek, a branch of Brashears' creek; settled in 1780 or before.

Stations on Beargrass creek; 6, in 1780, with a population of 600 men.

Steuben, Fort, at the Falls of the Ohio in 1790; originally called Fort Finney, now Jeffersonville, Indiana.

Stockton's (Geo.) Station, in sight of Flemingsburg, Fleming County; in 1787.

Strode's Station, 2 miles from Winchester, in Clark County; in 1779.

Stroud's Station, in Mason County, on the North Fork of Licking, at the mouth of Stroud's run, in 1785. More correctly written Strode.

Sturgus' Station, in Jefferson County; in or before 1784.

Sullivan's Station, in Jefferson County, on Beargrass; 1780.

Sullivan's Old Station, before 1780, in Jefferson County; 5 miles south east of Louisville, on the Bardstown road. Elisha Applegate, still living in November, 1872, was born there in 1781.

Sullivan's New Station, in Jefferson County; before 1784.

Sullivan's (Daniel) Station, in Jefferson County; before 1784.

Tanner's Station, where Petersburg now is, in Boone County; 1785.

Taylor's Creek Station was probably in Campbell County, on Taylor's Creek.
The Cincinnati Centinel of the North-West, March 12, 1796, says John Campbell lived there.

Thompson's Station, settled by Robert Thompson in 1790; on the Middle Fork of Elkhorn, 3 miles below Lexington, in Fayette County.

Todd's Station, in Jessamine County, not far from Keene, and about 10 miles south west from Lexington; settled by Levi Todd in 1779, who afterwards removed to Lexington as a place of greater safety.

Trigg's Station, 4 miles north east of Harrodsburg, in Mercer County, on Cane run, 4 miles from its mouth at Dick's River; settled in 1780 by Col. Stephen Trigg, and called Viney Grove, because of the number of large grapevines. John Haggin lived there, and it was sometimes called Haggin's Station, Tyler's Station, named after Capt. Robert Tyler; on Tick creek, 4 miles east of Shelbyville.

Upper Blue Licks, on Licking River, in Nicholas County 12 miles from Flemingsburg and 18 miles from Carlisle.

Viney Grove. [See Trigg's Station.]

Waddington's, a mistake for Worthington's Station, which see.

Waring's Station, in Mason County, nearly 2 miles from Maysville, a short distance west of Lexington turnpike; settled, February, 1785, by Col. Thos. Waring.

Washington, in Mason County, 3½ miles south west of Maysville; settled by Simon Kenton in 1784; laid out as a town in 1786, by Rev. Wm. Wood and Arthur Fox, Senator.

Whippoorwill creek, Logan County; settlement in 1784, by the Mauldings.

Whitaker's Station, in Bullitt County; settled by Capt. Aquilla Whitaker, the hero of the fight at the foot of the Falls of the Ohio, on March 1, 1781.

White Oak Spring (or Hart's) Station. [See Hart's Station.]

Whitley's Station, in Lincoln County, 2 miles south west of Crab Orchard. "In 1779, they found Col. Wm. Whitley's Station at Dick's river, on the Kentucky trace from Cumberland Gap." On the spot still stands a two-story brick house, claimed to be the first brick house built in Kentucky, the windows are set over six feet above the floor, to prevent the Indians seeing or shooting into the room.

Wilderness, the great traveled road from Virginia to Kentucky, through Cumberland Gap, Hazel Patch, Crab Orchard, and Stanford, to Danville and Central Kentucky,

Wilson's Station, in Mercer County, on a branch of Salt River, 2 miles north west of Harrodsburg.

Wilson's Station (another), in Lincoln County, at the fork Clark's run; 1785.

Worthington's Station or Fort, in Lincoln County, 4 miles south east of Danville; settled in 1779, by Capt. Edward Worthington, one of the "Long Hunters;" (sometimes improperly called Waddington's).




Appendix
To the Dictionary of the Stations and Early Settlements in Kentucky


The following additional Stations and Settlements in early Kentucky were gathered during my later researches and inquiries among court records and depositions, and private paper R. H.

Adams' (Geo.) Station, in Garrard County

Arnold's (John) Station, on Little Benson creek, 7 miles above Frankfort; 1783.

Arrington's Station, in southern Kentucky; 1788.

Ballard's (Bland) Station, in Shelby County; usually called Tyler's.

Bell's Station, in Madison County (see p. 521).

Blockhouse on Big Sand River, near or above Louisa, Lawrence County

George Boone's Station, 2½ miles northwest of Richmond (see p. 521).

Burnt Station, on or near Simpson's creek, in Nelson County

Bush's (Wm.) Station or Settlement, in Clark County, near Boonesborough.

Campbell's Station, on the Dry Ridge, in now Grant County, 3 miles north of Williamstown, and 33 miles from the mouth of Licking; settled some time before 1792.

Cartwright's Station; settled in 1779.

Clark's Station, on Clark's run, a branch of Dick's River; settled by Geo. Clark before November, 1779.

Collins' Station, on Rockcastle River.

Cooper's Station, on Cooper's run, in Bourbon County, 2 miles from Riser's.

Elijah Craig's Station, 5 miles from Versailles; 1783.

Crews' (David) Station, in Madison County (see p. 521); 1781.

Curtis' Station, in Mason County (see p. 555).

Daviess' (James) Station, about 5 miles west of Whitley's.

Dover Station, in Garrard County, on waters of Dick's river.

Downing's Station, east of and near Dick's River, not far from Danville.

Ellis' Station, at Ellisville, Nicholas County.

English's Station, on south bank of Dick's River, in Lincoln County, 3 miles east of Crab Orchard.

Estill's New Station, 5 miles south east of Richmond (see p. 521).

Fields' (Wm.) Station, 1½ miles west of Danville.

Fisher's (Stephen) Garrison, not far from Danville.

Florer's Station, on the "middle trace" from Maysville to Lexington; 1792. Forks of Elkhorn Settlement, in Scott County

Fox's (Arthur) Station; same as Washington.

Givens' (Samuel) Station, 1¼ miles south west of Danville, on a branch of Clark's run; settled before February, 1780; afterwards called John Reed's Station.

Goar's Station, in Franklin County, on north side of Elkhorn creek.

Great Crossings Station, in Scott County, about 2 miles west of Georgetown; same as Col. Johnson's.

Haebeson's Station, probably in east part of Washington County, on road from Harrodsburg to Bardstown.

Holder's (John) Station, on Kentucky River, 2 miles below Boonesborough.

Hood's Station, in Clark County; before 1792.

Irish Station, between Danville and mouth of Dick's river.

Johnson's (Col. Robert) Station, at the Great Buffalo Crossings on North Elkhorn, in Scott County; settled in winter of 1783-84.

Kenton's (Simon) Station; several blockhouses built by Simon Kenton, who brought to them from Pennsylvania his father's family, and remained with them until July, 1784.

Kennedy's Station, in Garrard County, between Paint Lick creek and Dick's River.

Leitch's Station, about 6 miles above the mouth of Licking, on the east bank, in now Campbell County; settled in 1790 by Maj. David Leitch (after whom Litchfield, Grayson County, was named).

Liberty Fort, on Salt River in Mercer County, ¾ mile below McAfee's Station.

Littell's Station, now the site of Williamstown, Grant County; settled before 1792.

The Little Fork same as Twetty's (see p. 520); 1775.

Lindsay's Station, in Scott County, near Lecompt's run.

Locust Thicket Fort, in Madison County; before 1780.

Marble Creek Station, 7 miles from Boonesborough.

Masterson's (James) Station, 5 miles N. w. of Lexington. The first Methodist east church building in Kentucky was erected here, a plain log structure in 1790, or earlier; and in 1871 was still standing.

May's Lick Settlement, at Mayslick, Mason County (see pp. 555, 563).

McConnell's Station, settled by Wm. McConnell in 1783 or earlier, at the royal spring near (now in) Lexington, was not so fortified as to be regarded as a regular station, and was soon merged in Lexington.

McCormick's Station, on top of first ridge north or northwest of Knob Lick fork of Hanging Fork of Dick's River.

McGuire's Station, same as McGee's (see p. 21); so called, sometimes, because James McGuire was prominent there in 1780.

McKinley's Block House, on the old buffalo trace south of Washington, Mason County, where David Hunter lived in 1873; built by Jas. McKinley in 1785.

McMillin's Fort, in Bourbon or Harrison County; 1779.

Meaux's Station, probably in Boyle or Mercer County; 1789.

Meek's Station, on the waters of Drennon's Lick, 20 miles from the, Ohio River at the mouth of 18 Mile creek.

Owen's (Bracket) Station, near Shelbyville (see p. 710); 1782.

Owings' Station, on road from Lexington to Paris.

Paint Lick Station, in Garrard County, near Madison County line.

Pond Station, in McLean County, 4 miles south west of Calhoon; 1790.

Reed's (John) Station, near Danville; same as Givens'.

Rogers' Station (another), towards Strode's station, in Clark County Salt River Garrison; before 1780.

Scrivner's Station, in Madison County

Shallow-ford Station, in Madison County (see p. 521).

Smith's Station, on road from Danville to mouth of Dick's River.

Stevenson's Station, on Paint Lick creek, probably in Garrard County.

Summit Station, in Nicholas County, 12 miles from Lower Blue Licks.

Tanner's (John) Station, 6 miles northwest of Richmond (see p. 521).

Tanner's Station, at Lower Blue Licks; November, 1784.

Twetty's Fort, the first fort in Kentucky, 5 miles south of Richmond (see p. 520); 1775.

Vance's Station, on Green River, 15 miles from its mouth; before April, 1780.

Vancouver's (Charles) Fort, in forks of Big Sandy River; settled in 1789, but abandoned in 1790.

Vanmeter's (Jacob) Fort, in Hardin County; before 1790.

Vienna Station, in McLean County, at the falls of Green River; now Calhoon.

Warner's Station, on Otter creek, in Madison County.

Warren's (Thos.) Station, in Madison County. (see p. 521).

Wells' Station, in west part of Mason County.

Wells' (Samuel) Station, 3¼ miles northwest of Shelbyville.

Whaley's Station, in Mason County (see p. 555).

Williams' (David) Station, 6 miles north east from Harrodsburg.

Woods' (John) Station, in Madison County (see p. 521).


Source: History of Kentucky, Volume II, by Lewis Collins, Published by Collins & Company, Covington, Kentucky, 1874



Back to Kentucky AHGP


Be sure to add us to your favorites list and check back often.

This page was last updated Monday, 29-Dec-2014 16:37:42 EST.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by
    and

Information contained on this website may be used for personal genealogical research only and not to be given to pay to view sites or posted to other sites without the express consent of the contributor.

Copyright © 2014~2017 by Paula Franklin